DRY ICE IS REALLY COLDDry Ice is -78.5 C (-109.3 F) when in it's solid form.
Direct contact with carbon dioxide should be avoided as it can easily cause severe cold burns and frostbite. Think about it like the opposite of fire, don't touch it any longer then you'd stick your finger in a flame.
Dry ice should always be handled with thick gloves.
DRY ICE CAN CAUSE ASPHYXIATIONDry Ice is solid Carbon Dioxide (CO2), the gas you exhale.
Carbon dioxide isn't toxic except in very high concentrations, but it will displace all of the air in an area making it impossible to breath. Common symptoms are shortness of breath, headaches, and confusion. Carbon dioxide is heavier then air and will sink to the ground so make sure you ventilate from ground-level.
Proper ventilation is essential.
DRY ICE EXPANDS AS IT WARMS UPDry ice sublimates when it warms up changing directly from a solid to a gas without passing through a liquid phase. When it changes it increases in volume by a factor or 600, which can build up pressure very quickly if stored in a sealed container.
Never store dry ice in an air tight container.